Trikatu – Three Pungents
Trikatu is the traditional Ayurvedic term for the 'Three Pungents'– Ginger, Long and Black Pepper. Sometimes, especially in the Western Tradition, White Pepper was also added or used instead of one of the Peppers.
These three heating spices are some of the most famous of all the spices. Despite Long Pepper being less commonly known today, in the past it was, like Ginger and Black Pepper, highly revered and regularly used in all the great traditions along the Silk Road.
All three medicines are Hot, dry and Pungent. They warm the body, stimulate Yang, improve Digestion and increase Circulation. They revive and feed Agni, the digestive Fire (Spleen Yang) and thereby enhance assimilation and metabolism of food while digesting Phlegm, Damp and undigested food (Ama of Ayurveda).
All conditions associated with Cold Phlegm and Damp diseases may be benefited by the addition of this combination. This includes Cold Cough and Bronchitis, Muscle and Joint pain, Rheumatism, Lymphatic Swellings, Scrofula and Obesity, among others.
This combination is commonly added to larger formulas to enhance effectiveness by increasing bio-availability. It can enhance digestibility of heavy or hard-to-digest medicines. A little added can also increase efficacy of Cold medicines by optimizing their assimilation while negating their negative effects and producing better effect with lower doses.
- Cold and Damp diseases in general
- Indigestion and poor assimilation from Cold
- to enhance bioavailability of other medicines
Powder of Anise Compound (Mesue)
Powder of Cumin Greater (Nicholas)
Powder of Galangal Compound (Diagalanga) (Mesue)
Warming Pearl Powder (Diamargariton Calidum) (Avicenna)
Electuary of Calamus (Diacorum) (Mesue)
Diacameron Minus (Nicholas)
Diacameron Magna (Diathamaron) (Nicholas)
Electuary of Fruit Kernels (Rhazes)
Electuary of Pearl (Avicenna)
Electuary of Horehound Diaprassium
Electuary of Rhubarb (Zenon)
Powder to Strengthen the Memory
Powder for Scrofula (Arnold de Villa Nova)
Powder for Scrofula (Palestra Pharmaceutica)
Powder for Scrofula (Wirtzung)
Antidotum Epilepticus (Nicholas)
Electuary Against Forgetfulness
Wonderful Confection for Cold Nerve Diseases
Restorative of Nicholas (Pleres Arconticon) (Nicholas)
Triphala Electuary Greater (Unani)
Pills of Opopanax (De morbus internis curandis)
Confection of Sesame and Triphala (Ayurveda)
Nutmeg Powder (Jatiphaladi Churna) (Ayurveda)
Powder of China root (Chobchini Churna) (Ayurveda)
1. Cold abdominal pain, wind and bloating, Trikatu with Cumin, Cinnamon, Clove, Spikenard
2. Acid regurgitation, Reflux, Hiccough, Trikatu with Galangal, Aloeswood
3. Obesity, Trikatu with Fennel seed, Cyperus rotundus
4. Fractures, Trikatu with Triphala and Bdellium
5. Scrofula, Trikatu with Pumice, Cuttlefish bone and burnt Sponge
6. To nourish Sperm, Trikatu with Almonds, Pine nuts, Pistachio
7. To strengthen the elderly, to promote intellect and as an aphrodisiac, Trikatu with Sesame seed, Triphala, Ghee and Honey
8. To increase Memory, Trikatu with Frankincense, Mastic, Sage, Balm, Peony, Coriander seed, Yellow and Black Myrobalan
Hot and dry, so avoid in Heat diseases and use cautiously in Yin deficiency. It is sometimes used in formulas for these conditions in small amount to promote assimilation of the active ingredients.