To Promote Birth
1. Cinnamon and Licorice powder taken daily for 2 weeks before the due date prepares for Birth.
2. Date kernel powder with Wine relieves pain of labor
3. Maidenhair taken in wine causes speedy delivery.
4. Myrrh drunk with Warm wine causes quick delivery.
5. Leek juice taken with warm wine is powerful
6. Betony decocted in water with Honey
7. Juniper leaves taken with water and Honey.
8. Bull Bile in doses of half dram in wine powerfully facilitates Birth.
9. Milk of another woman causes speedy delivery.
10. Mugwort decocted in water and applied as a plaster to the Navel and thighs
11. To promote Labor, Parsley and Leek juice, mixed with a little Oil. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
12. Calamint, Sage, Rosemary (of each a handful), white wine (6 pounds). Boil gently until one-quarter has wasted. Use to wash the legs once daily when the time is near. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
13. Of dried Bull Bile: 'It is a Secret, worth ten times its weight in Gold. If ½–1 dram be given in a glass of Wine, it hastens not only the Birth, but facilitates the Labor to admiration'. (Salmon, Seplasium, 1693)
A Remedy only used in Urgent Cases, or when the Fetus is Dead:
-Savin juice (2 oz.), Borax (1 dram), White Wine (1 oz.). Note if modern Borax was used, a maximum of 2 grams should be used. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
Partum facilitant–Facilitate Birth
Decoction of Marshmallow
Decoction for Difficult Childbirth (Barbette)
Powder to Facilitate Birth (Renodeus)
Powder to Promote Birth (Alexander)
Powder of Crabs Claw (Countess of Kents Powder)
Tincture of Saffron
Tincture of Musk
Triphera Minor (Triphera Phoenonis) (Mesue)
Pacific 6 (Zhi byed drug pa) (Tibetan Medicine)
Pacific 11 (Zhi byed bcu gcig) (Tibetan Medicine)
1. Dang Gui 4.5 grams
Ligusticum Chuan Xiong 3 grams
Safflower (Hong Hua) 3 grams
Dodder seed (Tu Si Zi) 3 grams
Magnolia Hou Po 1.8 grams
Notopterygium Qiang Hao 4.5 grams
Dried Ginger 3 grams
Scutellaria Huang Qin 3 grams
Paeonia Bai Shao 4.5 grams
Atractylodes Bai Zhu 4.5 grams
Motherwort (Yi Mu Cao) 4.5 grams
Rehmannia Sheng Di 4.5 grams
Mugwort (Ai Ye) 3 grams
Form a Decoction. (The Formulas of Dr. John H.F. Shen)