To Promote Birth
To Promote Birth
1. Cinnamon and Licorice powder taken daily for 2 weeks before the due date prepares for Birth.
2. Betony decocted in water with Honey, or else the powder taken in water quickens delivery and eases pain.
3. Date kernel powder with Wine relieves pain of labor
4. Powder of Date stones with Betony. (Natura exenterata, Philiatros, 1655)
5. Date stone with half a Nutmeg in powder, taken with wine. (Natura exenterata, Philiatros, 1655)
6. Vervain juice taken in red wine for easy delivery.
7. Maidenhair taken in wine causes speedy delivery.
8. Myrrh drunk with Warm wine causes quick delivery.
9. Leek juice taken with warm wine is powerful, or a decoction of Leek.
10. Juniper leaves taken with water and Honey.
11. Mugwort decocted in water and applied as a plaster to the Navel and thighs
12. The Milk of another woman causes speedy delivery.
13. Dried Bull Bile: 'It is a Secret, worth ten times its weight in Gold. If ½–1 dram be given in a glass of Wine, it hastens not only the Birth, but facilitates the Labor to admiration'. (Salmon, Seplasium, 1693)
14. Cut a Rabbit liver into pieces, dry in an oven, then add 1 0z. each of powdered Ginger, Clove and Sugar. Mix well and give half ounce as a dose. (Albertus)
15. Parsley juice
Mix with a little Oil and take. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
Betony equal parts
Decoct and take to promote quick and easy delivery.
Rosemary of each a handful
white wine 6 pounds
Boil gently until one-quarter has wasted. Use to wash the legs once daily when the time is near. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
A Remedy only used in Urgent Cases, or when the Fetus is Dead:
Savin juice (2 oz.), Borax (1 dram), White Wine (1 oz.). A small amount can be taken regularly until the desired result is achieved. Note if modern (purified) Borax was used, a maximum of 2 grams should be used. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
Partum facilitant–Facilitate Birth
Decoction of Marshmallow
Decoction for Difficult Childbirth (Barbette)
Powder to Facilitate Birth (Renodeus)
Powder to Promote Birth (Alexander)
Powder of Crabs Claw (Countess of Kents Powder)
Tincture of Saffron
Tincture of Musk
Triphera Minor (Triphera Phoenonis) (Mesue)
Pacific 6 (Zhi byed drug pa) (Tibetan Medicine)
Pacific 11 (Zhi byed bcu gcig) (Tibetan Medicine)
Qi and Blood Deficiency
Weakness, lack of energy before or during labor
Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang
Bao Chua Wu You Fang
Restless Fetus, painful to touch abdomen, purplish tongue, lips and nail bed, choppy pulse
Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan
Amber 2 drams ea.
Borax 1 dram
Form a powder.
Dose: 2–4 scruples in wine, mugwort water or egg yolk.
1. Dang Gui 4.5 grams
Ligusticum Chuan Xiong 3 grams
Safflower (Hong Hua) 3 grams
Dodder seed (Tu Si Zi) 3 grams
Magnolia Hou Po 1.8 grams
Notopterygium Qiang Hao 4.5 grams
Dried Ginger 3 grams
Scutellaria Huang Qin 3 grams
Paeonia Bai Shao 4.5 grams
Atractylodes Bai Zhu 4.5 grams
Motherwort (Yi Mu Cao) 4.5 grams
Rehmannia Sheng Di 4.5 grams
Mugwort (Ai Ye) 3 grams
Form a Decoction. (The Formulas of Dr. John H.F. Shen)