Licorice & Comfrey
Licorice is warm and slightly moist, and sweet. It strengthens the Lungs and Spleen, increases Qi, clears Heat and Toxin, and moderates harsh or strong medicines.
Comfrey is cool, moist, sweet and bitter. It clears Heat and nourishes Yin, benefits the Lungs and Kidneys, stops Coughs, resolves Masses, and promotes Healing of Fractures and Ulcers.
A valuable combination for all types of chronic Lung disorders including chronic or dry Cough, Bronchitis, Asthma, as well as more serious Lung disease such as Lung Ulcers, Emphysema, Tuberculosis, Silicosis and Lung Cancer. Licorice has proven efficacy in China for various chronic Lung conditions, and Comfrey has a very long history of use for such conditions; Grieves states that it had developed a reputation as having cured a number of cases of Lung Cancer.
It is also very useful for all internal Ulcers, including those of the Lung, Stomach, Bowels, Bladder etc.
This combination with additions may also be used in chronic Inflammations including Fibroids and Cysts.
It is a useful combination for various chronic diseases depending on the medicines it is combined with.
Decoction to Strengthen the Lungs, Decoction of Timaei, Pectoral Ale
1. Ovarian Cysts, add Yarrow, Dandelion, Yellow Dock
2. Chronic Cough, add Figs, Raisins, Coltsfoot
3. Internal Ulcers, add Calendula, Marshmallow and Aniseed.
4. Weakness of the Bones, Osteoporosis etc., add Soloman’s Seal. This is also useful in Female Weakness.
5. To nourish the Qi and Yin in chronic illness or old age, add Elecampane, Peony, Rosemary, Balm
6. Consumption, add Figs, Marshmallow root