Hair, Premature Greying
1. An Oil or strong decoction of Eclipta Han Lian Cao is effective for premature greying. In TCM, it is also taken internally.
2. Massaging Sulphur into the scalp is an old treatment for premature Greying.
3. Burn Earthworms to ashes, mix in Oil, and use to comb the hair and the hair will never grey. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
4. Boil Bees in olive oil and apply to the scalp.
Electuary Alcharif (Mesue)
Powder of Galangal (Diagalanga) (Nicholas)
Oil of Costus Compound
Oil of Alchanna
Use infusions/decoctions of: Camomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Parsley, Rosemary
1. A wash is made with equal parts of Horseradish and Nettle steeped in wine.
2. Make a wash of Nettle, Horsetail and Rosemary.
3. Massage Coconut oil into the scalp every night.
Alopecia, Loss of Hair, Baldness
1. A decoction of any of the following herbs used as a hair wash can be used for Alopecia or Loss of Hair: Eclipta Han Lian Cao, Mullein, Maidenhair, Rosemary
2. Garlic oil stimulates hair growth if applied.
3. Oil of Radishes and Bayberry's (Avicenna)
4. Lemon oil mixed with water (1:10) and applied has stopped falling hair.
5. Walnut leaf mixed with suet and applied promotes hair growth.
6. Decoction of the leaves and bark of Oak used as a wash.
7. Rosemary decoction with Borax added used regularly for premature baldness.
8. Ashes of Goose dung mixed with oil
9. Powder or Ashes of Bees mixed in oil and applied
10. Ashes of Frogs mixed in oil
11. Euphorbia mixed with oil and applied.
12. Dog urine applied to the scalp prevents baldness and promotes hair growth.
13. Oil in which Cantharides has been boiled (Avicenna)
14. Lizard and Leeches, mixed with oil of Laudanum
15. Boil a Lizard in oil, burn a foxes head to ashes; anoint the place with the oil and apply the ashes.
16. Mix snail ashes with Alum and Deer marrow, heat together in wine, strain, and anoint.
17. Shave the Head, rub with a cut Onion; then take parched Barley, mix with [Bear] Suet and apply 'and the hair will grow again'. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
To Promote Hair Growth
1. Take the black skin-like growth that grows on ethe lower leg of an Ass, like a Wart, burn to ashes and mix in Oil, and apply. This was said to even make hair grow on the chin of a woman if applied. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
2. Marshmallow root
hard-boiled Egg yolks
Pound the Marshmallow root with Pork fat, then boil together with wine for a long time; then add the Cumin, Mastic and Egg Yolks, and heat together. When well cooked, strain through linen and leave to cool. Collect the fatty residue on top and massage into the scalp after washing the hair.
3. Malmsey Wine
Cow Milk 1 pound
Honey half pound
Mix and distill. Wash the head with it. (The Secrets of Alexis, 1615)
To Thicken the Hair
Reed roots, equal parts
Decoct in Goat milk or water and wash the area well
Yin and Blood Deficiency
Er Zhi Wan
Qi Bao Mei Tan Dan
Kidney Essence Deficiency
Qi Bao Mei Ran Dan
Zuo Gui Yin
Zuo Gui Wan
Alopecia, Hair loss
1. Rhubarb Da Huang
Scutellaria Huang Qin
Take eqal parts, powder, mix in sesame oil and apply.
2. Mustard seed, powder, steep in vinegar, strain and apply.