Dodder & Wormwood
Dodder is mildly Warm and Dry, and cleanses the Spleen and purges Melancholy; used for obstructions of the Spleen and Liver, used for Black Jaundice, Ulcers, Fibroid Tumors and Cancers. It clears Damp and promotes Urine. In this combination, Dodder herb or Dodder seed may be used.
Wormwood is Cold, dry, Bitter and aromatic. It opens obstructions of the Liver, benefits digestion, clears Heat and Poison and promotes Urine. It has been used as a brain tonic for metal weakness, and is classed as an exhilarant medicine in Unani.
This important combination clears Heat and Damp, and removes Melancholy. It has been used for Cachexia, Edema and chronic Fevers.
It is also very good for chronic skin diseases including Acne, Eczema, Fibroids, Leprosy and Cancer.
They have also been combined for weakness of the Eyes and chronic Eyes diseases (as in Pills to Clarify of Mesue and Pill of Eight Medicines of Nicholas)
- Cachexia, Edema and chronic Fevers
- Acne, Eczema, Fibroids
- Obstructions of the Liver and Spleen
Syrup Against Cachexia, Compound Fumitory Syrup, Greater Syrup of Fumitory, Hiera Logadii, Tincture Against Schirrus of the Spleen, Polycrest Pills (Aggregative), Pills to Clarify, Pills without which I would not be, Pills of Five Myrobalans, Pill of
This combination is drying if Dodder herb is used but not drying if Dodder seed is used.
1. Cachexia and chronic disease add Parsley root, Madder Agrimony, Rue and St. Johns wort as in Syrup Against Cachexia.
2. Chronic Skin disease, add Wormwood, Hops and Endive (or Chicory or Dandelion) as in Compound Fumitory Syrup.
3. Fibroids and Tumors, add Oregano, Rue, Hyssop, St. Johns wort, Mallow as in Tincture Against Schirrus of the Spleen.