Calamus & Peony
Peony root 0.5-1 gram
Calamus 1.5-3 grams
Peony root 6–9 grams
Calamus is Warm, dry, Pungent, Bitter, and very Aromatic. It strongly opens obstructions of the Qi circulation, stops Wind, regulates Qi, clears Damp and Phlegm, and has a special affinity for the Mind, Spirit and Senses. It is very effective for poor Memory, loss of the senses of Sight, Smell, Hearing or Tasting, Paralysis, Coma, loss of Brain function etc.
Peony is Cool and Moist, and slightly Sour. It nourishes the Yin and Blood, especially of the Liver, nourishes and Calms the Liver, eases Wind and calms Restlessness. Peony is a useful, nourishing Tonic, which calms, settles and soothes the Liver. With its moistening, Yin nourishing nature, this makes it a valuable medicine for internal Wind affecting the Nervous System such as Headache, Convulsions, Vertigo etc. Wind is associated with dryness, and the excess use of pungent drying aromatics such as Calamus, which can easily damage the body Yin. It supplies a very good foundation for the more active Calamus to work upon.
This combination can be used as a foundation for various ‘diseases of the Head’ including Headache, Migraine, Vertigo, Dizziness, Tinnitus, Convulsions, Epilepsy, as well as Hyper-Emotionalism, Poor Memory, Loss of the sense of Speech, Hearing, Sight or Smell, Coma, Stroke, etc.
They can also be applied to abdominal pain and cramping.
- Headache, Migraine, Vertigo, Dizzyness, Tinnitus
- Convulsions, Epilepsy
- Poor Memory, Loss of the sense of Speech, Hearing, Sight or Smell
1. Convulsions, add Hyssop, Rue, Sage, Rosemary (as in Tincture Against Convulsions)
2. Epilepsy, add Mistletoe, Valerian
3. Headaches, add Valerian, Mistletoe, Betony, Sage, Rosemary (as in Cephalic Decoction)
4. Hysteria, PMS, add Rosemary, Rue, Agnus Castus (as in Hysteric Powder)
5. Abdominal cramping and pain, add Licorice
Cephalic Decoction, Syrup of Mugwort, Tincture Against Convulsions, Hysteric Powder