Calamus & Galangal
Calamus is Warm, Dry, very Aromatic, and Pungent. It potently moves the Qi, opens Obstructions, clears the Senses, clears Wind and Damp, and has a strong effect on the Mind and Nerves.
Galangal is also Warm, Dry, Aromatic and Pungent. It clears Cold and Damp, Moves the Qi, promotes Digestion, clears Wind and Damp, and also has a strong effect on the Mind and Nerves, although less than Calamus. It specifically clears Dampness and aromatically promotes Digestion.
When combined, they strongly clear Cold and Damp from the Head, Nerves, Joints, Stomach, Spleen, Liver and Bowels. They aromatically promote Digestion, stimulate Appetite, and make both the digestive system and whole body light and clear. They are good for Poor Appetite, Indigestion, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Malabsorption, Colic, Colitis, Irritable Bowel etc. They are also useful for Hiccough and various pains of the Stomach and Bowels.
Especially, they lighten the Mind, relax the Nerves, lift the Spirits, quicken the Senses and promote the flow of Qi. They have often been combined for Headache, Migraine, Epilepsy, Convulsions, Poor Memory, Dullness of the Senses, Lethargy, Apoplexy, Paralysis etc.
They are also especially useful for Aches, Pains, Arthritis, Rheumatism, Stiffness of the Tendons, all associated with Wind and Damp.
They were also combined to correct the coldness and toxicity of Black Hellebore, as in Tincture of Black Hellebore.
- Indigestion, Poor Appetite, Nausea, Colic, Irritable Bowel (from Cold and Damp)
- Abdominal Pain and Cramping
- Arthritis, Rheumatism, Stiffness (from Wind-Damp)
- Headache, Poor Memory, Dullness of the Senses, Lethargy (from Damp)
Decoction Against Arthritis, Electuary of Calamus, Diaphoretic Tincture, Tincture of Black Hellebore, Tincture of Sun Dew, Stomach Wine, Comp. Galangal Powder, Gross Powder, Tablets of Pepper, Oil of Rhubarb
1. For Arthritis, add Guaiacum, China root, Cinnamon, Barley (as in Decoction against Arthritis)
2. For Wind, Cold and Damp of the Brain and Nerves causing Headache, Vertigo, Dizziness, Lethargy etc., or of the Stomach and Bowels with Pain, Indigestion, Poor Appetite, add Sweet Almonds, Cinnamon, Clove, Pepper, Citron peel (as in Tablets of Pepper)
3. To promote Lust, strengthen the Kidneys and Brain, and quicken the Senses, add Sea Holly root, Pine nuts, Pepper, Clove (as in Electuary of Calamus)
4. To strengthen and benefit the Stomach and Digestion, add Licorice, Fennel, Caraway and Cinnamon (as in Gross Powder)
5. For tightness of the Tendons and Ligaments, add Turmeric and Peony.