Bistort & Tormentil
Bistort is Cold, dry, Bitter and Astringent. It clears Heat and stops Leakage in Diarrhea, Dysentery, Colitis and Internal Ulcers. It clears Heat and resists Poison in infectious and spotted Fevers, as well as Venereal Diseases and Poisonous Bites. It also cools the Blood to stop Bleeding of the Stomach, Lungs or Uterus. It clears Phlegm and Heat and resolves Swellings in Lymphatic Swellings and Nodes, and has been used for Jaundice. It has also been used as an adjunct in Diabetes, Consumption and Night sweats.
Tormentil root is Neutral, Dry, slightly Sweet, Bitter and Astringent. It clears Heat, stops Bleeding and Astringes Leakages. It is used for Diarrhea, Dysentery, Gastroenteritis etc. It is also useful in Prolapses, Vomiting, Internal Ulcers and Incontinence. It also has a long history of use against Poison, Venom, Fevers including Spotted and Epidemic Fevers. It has also been used for Jaundice and Worms.
A powerful astringent tonic combination, used for various types of chronic leakage including Diarrhea, Leukorrhea, and Spermatorrhea. Also combined for Threatened Miscarriage and Incontinence of Urine, and they were also traditionally combined for Diabetes.
In all medical systems, the use of noble tonic astringents have been used as tonics. This is because in chronic conditions, especially those of old age, there may be a loss of valuable nutrients, especially from the Kidneys, due to poor functioning or loss of tone. Tonic astringents help them to hold onto these vital nutrients, while consolidating and toning the tissues of the organs themselves.
This combination is best for Leakage associated with Kidney weakness which usually occurs with protracted illness, and especially in old age.
- Diarrhea, Dysentery, Gastroenteritis, Colitis
- Leukorrhea, Incontinence
- Fever, Spotted and Epidemic Fevers
- Threatened Miscarriage
1. For cases with Cold, Damp or Kidney Yang deficiency, add Cinnamon and Nutmeg
2. For Kidney weakness or Yin deficiency, combine with Soloman’s Seal and Comfrey root.
3. For Diarrhea, they may be combined with Camomile and Agrimony.
4. Infantile Diarrhea, add Marshmallow, Raspberry leaf
5. For Bloody Dysentery, take with Troches of Amber.
6. Intermittent Fever, add Calamus and Gentian
7. To Prevent Infection during Epidemics: add Armenian Earth, Scordium, Gentian, Dittany, Cinnamon, Ginger and Long Pepper (as in Diascordium)
8. Another for the same: Angelica, Valerian, Gentian, Masterwort, Zedoary, Citron peel, Juniper berry, Rue, Blessed Thistle, Centaury, made into a Vinegar (as in Treacle Vinegar of France)
9. For Spermatorrhea, add Water Lily, Rue, Agnus Castus, Frankincense, Nutmeg (as in Pills to Stops Gonorrhea)
10. To Prevent Miscarriage, add Coral, Pearl and Amber
11. They were often combined with the Earths (of Lemnos and Armenia)
Treacle Vinegar of France, Pills to Stop Gonorrhea, Electuary of Scordium, Dysenteric Powder of Charras, Emperors Powder Against the Plague