Anemarrhena Zhi Mu and Phellodendron Huang Bai
Anemarrhena Zhi Mu and Phellodendron Huang Bai are both Cold, Bitter, clear Heat and direct Fire downwards.
Anemarrhena Zhi Mu drains Fire from the Lungs and Stomach, while having a secondary function of Nourishing Yin.It is used for High Fever, Heat of the Stomach or Lungs, as well as Deficient Heat disorders such as Night Sweats, Steaming Bone Disorder, and Diabetes.
Phellodendron Huang Bai drains Damp-Heat from the lower abdomen, drains Kidney Fire downwards, and also helps clear Heat and Toxin.
When combined, they form a popular and powerful combination for clearing Heat. They may be combined for Lung Heat, Kidney Heat, and Deficient Heat or Damp Heat of the lower body.
The Grand Materia Medica states that Anemarrhena Zhi Mu works on the Qi level of the Kidneys, while Phellodendron Huang Bai works on the Blood level of the Kidneys, thus, they mutally enhance each others activity.
- Lung Heat with dryness, chronic cough
- Kidney Heat with scanty, dark urine
- Deficient Heat, with Night Sweats, red tongue without coating
- Damp-Heat, with painful and obstructed urine, or yellow, foul-smelling Vaginal discharge
Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan, Er Xian Tang, Da Bu Yin Wan, Zi Shen Tong Guan Wan, Hu Qian Wan
1. Yin deficiency with Deficient Heat, add this pair to Liu Wei Di Huang Wan (which then becomes (Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan)
2. For Damp Heat in the Lower Abdomen with Difficult Urination, add Cinnamon (This is called Zi Shen Tong Guan Wan, Enrich the Kidneys and Open the Gates Pill)
3. For Severe Yin deficient Heat with Night Sweats, Red tongue without coating a dry mouth, and a thin, fast Pulse, add fried Turtle Shell Gui Ban and Rehmannia Shu Di Huang. (This is called Da Bu Yin Wan, Greater Tonify Yin Pill)
4. Severe Night Sweats, add Rehmannia Shu Di Huang and Oyster shell (Mu Li).
5. Burning, painful and difficult urination, Dysuria, add Alisma Ze Xie, Poria Fu Ling
6. Menopausal syndrome with flushing, sweating, irritability, insomnia with Yin and Yang deficiency and deficiency Heat, combine with Epimedium Yin Yang Huo, Morinda Bai Ji Tian, Dang Gui (as in Er Xian Tang)
7. Chronic Lower Back pain, add Rehmannia Shu Di Huang, Turtle shell (Gui Ban), Cynomorium Suo Yang, Paeonia Bai Shao (as in Hu Qian Wan)