Aloe & Rose
Note that two different combinations may be referred to. Aloes and dried Rose, and Aloes that has been prepared with clarified Damask Rose juice, this properly being a preparation of Aloes, rather than a true combination. Nevertheless, because of its wide use, we will consider them both here.
Aloe is Cold, dry, bitter, and purges excess from the Stomach, Liver and Bowels. It opens obstructions in small doses and purges excess in full doses.
Rose is Cool and mildly Dry, Sweet, Pungent and Aromatic. It clears Heat from the Liver, Heart and Stomach, calms the Mind and Spirit, calms the Liver, regulates the Blood, and stops Leakage and Bleeding.
The preparation of Aloes with Rose juice involves impregnating Aloes with Rose juice, triturating them well, and allowing the juice to dry. This was known as washed Aloes or Rosed Aloes. Its preparation was kept secret for a long while, and several authors were forbid to publish it. It has the effect of moderating the harshness of the Aloes. It was used to make the Aloe more gentle on a weak Stomach, and is better suited to the young, old and weak. It purges much more gently, and gently strengthens after. In numerous formulas which contained Aloe, washed or Rosed Aloes was used in cases where a strengthening effect was desired, or the person was too weak to use unprepared Aloes. This was so in the cases of the Hiera formula, for example.
It clears heat from the Stomach, Liver and Head, promotes Digestion, and clears Phlegm and Bile. Used for Headache, Jaundice, Fluxes etc.
Aloe combined with Rose in formula has a similar nature, useful for clearing Heat and in opening Obstructions.
- Damp-Heat obstruction, Jaundice, Headaches etc.
- Cleanses the Stomach and Liver
Examples (Aloes prepared with Rose juice):
Pills of Washed Aloes, Rosed Aloes, Quercetans Purging Pills (prepared with other juice in addition to Rose), Pills without which I would not be,
Examples using Rose Syrup
Greater Bitter Electuary, Polycrest Pills, Pills of Washed Aloe, Pills of Three Solutives,
Examples using dried Rose
Comp Hiera of Nicholas, Bitter Powder of Musk, Polycrest Pills, Aromatic Pills of Aloe, Pills for Arthritis, Golden Pills, Pills to Clarify, Stomach Pills,
1. To gently cleanse the Stomach, promote Digestion, and strengthen the same, add Mastic, as in Stomach Pills.
2. A more compound version of the above, add Chebulic Myrobalan, Cardamon, Clove, Rhubarb, as in Compound Stomach Pills.
3. Add Agaric, Mastic and Diamoschu Dulce to Rosed Aloes to form Pills of Washed Aloes. These were used as Pills of Mastic, but are more gentle, and better suited to a weak Stomach. Cleanses the Head, Stomach and Bowels.
4. Add Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Nutmeg, Calamus, Juniper berry, Sandalwood, Mastic and Myrrh, as in Aromatic Pills of Aloes. This clears Heat and Damp from the Head, Stomach and Bowels. It causes good digestion and is excellent for Vertigo, Migraine, Lethargy etc.
5. For Arthritic conditions, add Colchicum, Turbith, Agaric, Clove, Mace, Ginger, Mastic, as in Pills for Arthritis.