What is MedicineTraditions?
MedicineTraditions has been established to promote the teaching and practice of Traditional Medicine.
All Traditional Medicine systems had several things in common: belief in the Spirit and Qi; the use of medicines from the Vegetable, Mineral and Animal Kingdoms; the concept that health is balance and disease is loss of balance; the use of formulas. All systems were based on Natural Philosophy: the understanding of the workings of Nature.
The focus of MedicineTraditions is on the use of Herbal Medicine in the Great Medical Traditions along the Silk Road:
- Western ('Greek', 'Galenic')
- Unani ('Middle Eastern')
- Ayurvedic (Indian)
- Tibetan Medicine
- Chinese (TCM)
However, each system has its peculiarities and specialties; the Western systems excel and purging; TCM excels in the use of tonic herbs and formulas and in its evolution for the modern world; Ayurveda excels in Deep Body Cleaning (Pancha-karma) and the use of Minerals and Metals.
The 'intermediate' traditions of Unani and Tibetan Medicine are perhaps the most interesting to us in that they have especially grown through exchanges from other systems. Unani Medicine was heavily influenced by the Ancient Greeks ('Unani' means Greek) as well as writings and Materia Medica from India. Tibetan Medicine has likewise had influence from Persia, India and China.
Thus, this website allows a practitioner or student to expand their knowledge and enhance their clinical practice. Once we have training in one system, we can expand our Theory, Materia Medica and Formulas by studying other systems, and this is exactly what has been happening for millennia between the systems.
This concept is far from new; this synthesis has been occurring since the very beginning of medicine.
on your support!
on your support!
For as little as $3.75 per week you can have full access to:
- Detailed illustrated Professional Monographs on over 1200 medicines from the Three Kingdoms of Nature (Vegetable, Animal and Mineral)
- Over 5000 of Traditional Herbal Combinations and Formulas from the various systems, with a focus on the Western Tradition
- A Detailed Database of the Herbs and Formulas used in the Treatment of various Diseases
- Educational Articles on Materia Medica, Formulas, Traditional Treatment of Specific Diseases etc
- A huge amount of Resources on History, Physicians, Texts, illustrations of traditional medicine etc.
- Useful lists of Substitute, detailed Glossaries, Weights and Measures, Links to Texts for download
- Resources help you Incorporate this information into your Clinical Practice.
MedicineTraditions is truly a unique resource for serious Students and Practitioners of Traditional Medicine and is being constantly added to to make this the premier online forum for Traditional Medicine with a focus on practical and clinically useful knowledge.
Expand your knowledge of the Materia Medica you already know, Introduce other new medicines you may not be familiar with and Incorporate Traditional Formulas from other systems into your Practice.