Betony & Hyssop
Betony is warm and dry, pungent and bitter. It ‘discusses, attenuates, opens and cleanses’, clears Wind, moves the Qi, and was mainly used for all types of diseases of the Head and Nerves including Headache, Migraine, Vertigo, Epilepsy, Paralysis etc. It opens the Liver and Spleen, and is used for Anxiety. It promotes Menstruation and is good for the Uterus, and promotes Urine. It was also much used for Wounds.
Hyssop is warm, dry, pungent and bitter. It clears Phlegm, stops Cough and Wheezing, moves the Blood, clears Masses, stops Wind, and relieves Spasms.
Used for Cough, Colds, Flu, Fever, Bronchitis, shortness of Breath, Asthma, especially in cases with thick and hard to clear Phlegm.
Together, they are combined for Anxiety, Depression, Hysteria, Headaches, Migraines, Epilepsy, Paralysis etc.
Also used to promote Urine, and are useful for foul, difficult or painful Urine, Edema, Gravel and Stones. Both herbs have also been used for obstructions of the Liver including Jaundice.
They promote Menstruation, and are used for delayed, difficult or painful Menstruation.
It is also a very useful combination for Internal Bruising and Wounds.
- Cold, Flu
- Cough, Bronchitis, Wheezing
- Headache, Anxiety
- delayed, difficult or painful Menstruation
Syrup of Peony, Diuretic Oxymel, Tincture Against Convulsions, Tincture Against Paralysis
1. Headache, add Vervain
2. Convulsions, Epilepsy, Lethargy etc., add Rue, Sage, Rosemary, Calamus, Peony and the Five Opening Roots (as in Tincture Against Convulsions)
3. Epilepsy, Apoplexy, Convulsions, Lethargy, add Peony, Rosemary, Rue, Stoechas, Nutmeg, Clove, as in Compound Syrup of Peony)
4. To promote Menstruation, for Hysteria, and for PMS add Parsley root, Peony, Madder, Elecampane, Pennyroyal, Balm, Rue, St. Johns wort, Aniseed (as in French version of Mugwort Syrup)
5. To promote clear Urine when filled with thick, foul Humours, add Sea Holly, Valerian, Oregano, Fennel root, Aniseed, Elder flower and Vinegar of Squill (as in Diuretic Oxymel)